Library cards are issued to residents or real property owners of Cleveland and Richland townships and the towns of South Whitley and Larwill. At the time of application, residents must show a photo ID with name and current address. If photo ID does not have a current address, other acceptable forms of identification may be used with the photo ID. These may include the latest utility bill with applicant’s name and address, checkbook with current address, and/or a dated rental agreement. Applications for patrons under the age of 18 must be signed by a parent or guardian.
Public Library Access Cards (PLAC) - South Whitley library cards will be issued to non-residents who are in good standing at their home libraries and have purchased an Indiana Public Library Access Card (PLAC). These cards may be purchased at the home library or at SWCPL. PLAC cards are valid for one year from the date of purchase. The fee is set by the Indiana State Library and may be changed annually.
Non-resident Cards may be purchased by those living outside the Library’s taxing district and are valid for one year. The cost is commensurate with the cost of supplying services to patrons who pay library taxes. The cost is based on a formula created by the Indiana State Library and may change annually, as determined by the Library Board.
Whitko Cards may be given to students of the Whitko Community School Corporation who live in an area without library service. A parent’s or guardian’s signature is required. Cards may also be given to school corporation employees who present Whitko Schools identification.
Homeschool Students - Students who do not attend public school and do not live in the served area but live in the area served by a school in the Whitko Community School Corporation are entitled to a library card.
Lost Cards - Lost, damaged, or stolen cards may be replaced at a cost of $2.00 per card.
Loan Periods and Fines
Patrons with 15 overdue items or $10 or more in fines may not check out materials or use public computers until materials are returned and/or fines paid.
Cardholders are responsible for all items checked out on their cards. Patrons are required to present their cards at the circulation desk in order to check out items.
Lost or Damaged Items
Patrons are responsible for lost or severely damaged materials. The replacement cost of the item is the price listed in library records. The price includes processing fees, so no additional cost is added.
Black and white copies from photocopier are $0.10 per page and color copies are $0.20 per page.
Other page sizes are only available on the copier:
black & white: 8 ½ x 14 size = $0.15 & 11x17 size = $0.40
color: 8 ½ x 14 size = $0.30 & 11x17 size = $0.80
Pages printed from the computer are $0.20 each. Please do a “print preview” before printing to make sure you are printing only what you need.
Faxes are $0.10 per page with a maximum cost of $2.00. International faxes may not be sent.
Laminating fees are $0.25 per foot.
Patrons who are not charged late fees/fines
- Homebound Patrons – These are people we deliver materials to or who have arranged for someone to take materials to them.
- Volunteers – This includes those who frequently volunteer their time for library projects.
Unreturned Items and Longtime Overdue Materials
Per Indiana Code 35-43-4-3.5, it is unlawful in Indiana to fail to return library materials. Through the Evergreen system, South Whitley Community Public Library will issue three reminder letters to patrons who have borrowed and not returned items to the library. If an item remains unreturned 45 days after the original due date, the patron will be charged a $10 processing fee. Patrons are still expected to return the material or pay the cost of the material if it is lost. Accounts 60 days past due may be turned over to the Whitley County Prosecutor’s office for assistance in pursuing restitution.
Electronic Devices Circulation Policy
The South Whitley Community Public Library’s electronic devices are available to the public, but with certain restrictions and limitations.
Availability and Circulation
- Devices are available on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Devices may be checked out to any individual with a valid SWCPL library card for in-library use only.
- Individuals are allowed to check out 1 device at a time.
- Devices should not be left unattended while in use. Patrons bear the sole responsibility for maintaining the security of the device while it is checked out.
- All checked-out devices must be returned to the circulation desk at least 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Devices must be returned to a staff member at the circulation desk.
- Upon return, the device (along with accessories) will be inspected by the staff.
Limits and Liability
- Devices are only for use on SWCPL property. If a device is removed from library property, local law enforcement will be notified and the borrower will be denied future borrowing privileges.
- Device checkout privileges may be revoked if a device is:
- not returned on time
- not returned in acceptable condition
- Individuals are to make sure the device is in working order and without physical damage when it is checked out. Any problems discovered upon checkout must be reported immediately to SWCPL staff, otherwise any damage or problems noted by circulation staff upon the return of the device is assumed to be the responsibility of the borrower.
- Individuals experiencing problems with device hardware or applications, or who have questions, should ask for assistance from the circulation staff.
- Individuals may not alter, delete, copy, or otherwise modify software installed on the device.
- Patrons must use headphones when listening to audio or video. Headphones are available at the circulation desk for your use.
- SWCPL is not responsible for loss or damage to any removable drives or data that may occur due to the malfunctioning of hardware or software while using SWCPL devices.
- All personal files must be removed from the device before it is returned.
SWCPL reserves the right to deny device usage to any person who is found to be in violation of policies associated with the use of devices, Internet, or personal behavior or the addendums adopted by the Board of Trustees of the South Whitley Community Public Library or their designees. SWCPL also reserves the right to update the Electronic Device Circulation Policy as they deem necessary.
Revised and Approved 2/8/2018
Hotspot Checkout Agreement
Print Patron Name: (Last name, then first name)
As a borrower of SWCPL’s hotspots I have read and understand the Wi-Fi Hotspot Circulation Policy. I understand that I will be assessed a fee of $222.00 if the hotspot is damaged or lost. I further understand that hotspots are not to be returned in the drop box or I will be fined $10.00.
Patron Signature: _____________________________________ Date__________
Kit inspected at checkout _________ Kit inspected at check in ________
Staff initials Staff initials
Wi-Fi Hotspot Circulation Policy
South Whitley Community Public Library has Wi-Fi hotspots available for checkout by SWCPL patrons.
- Hotspots are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Hotspots may only be checked out by patrons age 18 and older who have a valid library card, and whose account is clear of fees and fines. Patrons must present their library card to check out a hotspot.
- Hotspots are circulated as a unit, which includes: container, Sprint modem, USB cable, AC charger and instruction card. If one piece of the unit is not included at the time of the return, the entire unit is considered not returned. Hotspots cannot be returned in the drop box; they must be returned to the circulation desk. A $10 fee will be charged if hotspots are put in the drop box.
- Hotspots are available for a one-week period and are not eligible for renewal. There is a limit of two checkouts per household in a two-month period.
- Hotspots may not be put on hold.
- Hotspots are deactivated at the close of business on the day they are due. A fine of $2 per day will be assessed for the late return of a hotspot.
- Patron is responsible for any lost or damaged hotspots. Damaged or lost items are charged as such: Sprint modem, $180; USB cable or charger, $20; Carrying case, $20; Instructional card, $2.
- SWCPL is not responsible for any damage to computers or other devices by use of the hotspot.